Didn’t catch it when The Wire when it first aired, worried it’s too big a job, or weren’t even born yet? Here are more than a few reasons why you should give the landmark show a chance.
1. This is no ordinary cop show. You might find yourself cheering for a police commander and a crack dealer.
2. You’ll get to learn a second language -- “burners,” “G-packs” and “hand-to-hands” will be second nature. (Subtitles are your friend!)
3. The show introduced Idris Elba to American audiences. You’re welcome.
4. In fact, Wire stars are everywhere now: Dominic West, Michael K. Williams, Michael B.Jordan and Game of Thrones’ Aiden Gillen, to name a few.
5. It’s former President Obama’s favorite series: “One of the greatest -- not just television shows, but pieces of art in the last couple of decades.” He was so impressed, he met creator David Simon to talk about the war on drugs.
6. It’s funny. In one iconic scene, two detectives investigate a crime scene and communicate only using a single word, with endless variations of meaning: “F**k.”
7. By the time it’s over, you’ll see how seemingly opposing forces -- cops, drug dealers, politicians, teachers -- are intimately connected, absolutely understandable, and endlessly fascinating.